Fruit: 1/2 c dried apricots cut finely 1c raisins 2 Oranges, zest & juice 1 Lemon, zest & juice
Spices: 4Tbsp brown sugar 3Tbsp mixed spice (Mixed spice usually includes: cinnamon, coriander seed, caraway, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, allspice, and mace.) 1.5 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp ground cloves
Wet Ingredients: Just under 2 c water (half a cup boiling the rest room temperature) 3 eggs (room temperature) 1/4 c oil, approximately (I use grape-seed)
Dry Ingredients: 4 c gluten free flour with xathan gum 7gram packet of active / instant yeast (approx. 1.5 tsp) (can substitute with bob redmill wonder bread mix which includes a yeast packet)
Crosses 1/2 c gluten free flour 1/2 tsp baking powder 1/3 c cold water
Glaze 1/2 c sugar 1/3 c just boiled water
METHOD 1. First soak fruit in juice & zest for at least a hour prior to starting but you can also leave it over night. I use a fine grater to zest then chop it finely with a knife prior to juicing the oranges & lemon. Putting it all in a small container with a lid.
2. Put spices & sugar in a small bowl & mix.
3. In the bottom of bread machine pan put soaked fruit mixture, followed in order by:
4. Just under 2 c water (half a cup boiling the rest room temperature)
5. In a measuring jug put 3 room temperature eggs, topped up to the 1c mark with oil (at least 1/4 c)
6. Add half of the flour (2 c gf flour with xathan gum)
7. Add the spice mix
8. Add the other half of the flour
9. Make a well & add 7 grams active/instant yeast pkt.
10. Put pan in bread maker & set to dough (mine takes 90 minutes).
11. I grease 2 8x8 square pans that fit 9 buns each but any size will do.
12. When the bread maker is close to finishing pre heat oven to 350oF
13. When dough is finished I use clean wet hands & a 1/4 c measuring cup to portion out the buns. I place them right next to each other (traditional ones you put 1-2cm apart). While preparing the cross mixture I leave the buns somewhere warm (on top of oven that is pre heating) for 10-15 minutes to rise a little more.
14. Crosses - Stir the flour, baking powder, water & sugar together with a fork to form a smooth paste. Add to piping bag with a small round nozzle (or snap-lock bag with a tiny corner cut off). Pipe thin crosses on top of each bun.
15. Put in the oven as soon as crosses are on the buns & cook until golden brown (approximately 30 minutes)
16. Glaze - While the buns are cooking, whisk the sugar & boiled water in a heatproof bowl until dissolved. Microwave on high for 30 seconds if you need help to dissolve the sugar. I brush on the buns at about the 20 minute mark to help brown and then again as soon as they come out of the oven.